Migrating your projects from Index Card v3.5 to Index Card 4 is designed to be quick and painless. If you only have a few projects to move, just export them from v3 individually as .indexcard files. Index Card 4 can import them. If you have a lot of projects, follow the instructions below to backup and import in bulk:
Create the backup file
- In Index Card v3.5 iPad app, tap Settings (gear icon) > Back Up All Projects. Note that you may have to scroll the settings window to display the button which is near the bottom of the list.
- Select your destination, either iTunes or Dropbox. Once export completes, you will see a file named IndexCardBackup-MMDDYYYY.indexcard_zip at the destination you selected. (MM represents numeric month, DD is day. YYYY is year the backup was created).
Note that Index Card 4 is a separate app from Index Card v3.5. If using iTunes, you will need to copy your backup file from iTunes Index Card app v3.5 Documents (icon has corkboard) to iTunes Index Card app v4 Documents (icon is just a card) to import your file. Learn how to locate your files in iTunes in About iTunes File Sharing.
Import the backup
- In Index Card 4, tap Settings (gear icon) > Backups > Import Backup
- Choose the source of your backup file (whether you saved it to Dropbox or iTunes)
- Index Card will display a list of valid backup files (not individual projects). Select a backup file and allow Index Card to do its thing. An activity indicator will display on screen to let you know when it's working, and done.
Your imported projects are now available in the Project list. Your original projects are preserved in the Index Card v3.5 app. The Index Card 4 projects are separate copies.
If you need to import a single project file from a backup archive, follow the instructions found in Import a Single Project from a Backup File